Skip To Main Content

Title I

What is Title I, Part A

Originally enacted as part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Title I, Part A provides funding to schools to meet the educational needs of students. This additional learning support helps students meet challenging state academic standards and works to close the educational opportunity gap.

Four schools in the Ephrata School District are Title I Schools: 
Columbia Ridge Elementary, Grant Elementary, Parkway Intermediate and Ephrata Middle School. 

One-third of the public schools in Washington state operate Title I, Part A programs, providing academic services to over 350,000 students annually. 

District and school report cards and plans

The Ephrata School District provides a report card annually to parents and community members. This report is intended to inform parents and our community of our district and school performance. You can access the district and school report cards here.

In addition, each year, all schools develop "Schoolwide Plans" that help students meet state standards and guide systematic improvement. 

School | parent | Student Compact

A compact is a written agreement between the school, students and parents of students participating in Title I, Part A programs. It identifies activities that parents, school staff and students will undertake to share responsibility for improved student academic achievement. Click to view the compact.

Engagement Plans | Use of Funds

Families are our partners in education! Academic success starts at home an continues at school. Successful two-way relationships between educators and families leads to enduring student success. We're in this together. Collaboratively with our families, each of our Title I Schools develops a Family Engagement Plan.

1% of Title I dollars are set aside for schools to use for parent / family engagement. Expenditures must be allowable Title 1, Part A activities. Possible use of funds include:

  • Refreshments or light meals for meetings during meal times
  • Supplies for Make 'n Take Projects that promote academic learning
  • Instructional kits, workbooks, reading materials
  • Book for loan programs or check out system

 Do you have suggestions or ideas for Parent and Family Engagement Plans or use of funds? Click to tell us your thoughts on Parent and Family Engagement Plans.

Title i complaint process

If you believe the law that applies to federal programs like Title I has been violated, first contact your child's school. If you can't reach resolution, you can file a Citizen's Complaint through the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction. File a complaint (English). File a complaint (Spanish).

Right to Ask for Qualifications

Parents of children attending Title I,Part A schools have the right to request and receive information about the qualifications of the teachers and paraprofessionals who provide instruction to students. Learn more about your right to ask for qualifications.